Friday, December 25, 2009

Living Intentionally

We’ve begun the discussion about taking down the Christmas decorations at our house. Now, our attention begins to turn from the anticipation of celebrating Christ’s birth to enjoying the remainder of the break and looking forward to a new year. Sound familiar? Maybe it’s a similar theme at your house. Perhaps you’ve already been mulling around your resolutions for 2010. I know I have.

An Intentional Steward
My thinking keeps returning to one theme though. That theme is to work harder at living intentionally in 2010. None of us are promised another year, month, week or day. Whether we receive 50 more years or only 50 more minutes God has given us much freedom in making the most of what we have. Even more, He expects us to make the best of what we’ve been given as He calls us to be good stewards of our time, talent and money.

What Should You Do?
What do you need to take on intentionally? Are there people in your life that you need to intentionally forgive? Are there people you need to intentionally encourage? Is there something you should intentionally share with someone else? I’m sure something comes to your mind. Hardly anything happens accidentally in life. There are times we seem to be in the right place at the right time, but most often we are there because of preparation and hard work. We must be intentional if we are going to live a meaningful life.

Tonight as we prepared for bed one of my seven year old sons asked me to mark in his Bible where we were reading. He said he wanted to remember it after I died. Sounds a bit grim I know, but it reminded me that if I am going to choose the mark I make on his life I must be intentional about it. Oh, you can be sure that I will leave some sort of mark on his life no matter what, but if there is something I want to teach him or pass along to him I must be intentional about it. I took advantage of this wonderful opportunity.

How about you? What is an intentional change you should make today? How can you take your thought, make a plan and put it in action?

No comments: